Permits and licences for native Australian animals BY Colin Margaritis

By  |  0 Comments

I was watching the evening news and listened to an MP in parliament speaking in favour of removing the need for permits for native Australian animals. I want to agree with this because I feel that it would open up a wider awareness of our backyard.

Also, the euthanasia level statistics in native animal shelters are ever increasing. Bringing the care of native animals closer to home would help people who would like to have them as pets. I’m talking about things like black cockatoos and wombats.

The keep and sell permit system is regulated by Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). It places restrictions on the keeping of protected animals in captivity as well as certain dealings involving protected animals. This system helps us make sure that certain standards for animal possession, care and public safety, are met. The keep and sell permit system places all captive native animals into one of four categories:

Unprotected (no permit required to keep them)

Exempt (no permit required to keep them).

Basic (permit required to keep and sell). These species are usually easy to keep in captivity.

Specialist (permit required to keep and sell). These species are also usually easy to keep in captivity.

People who keep native animals as a hobby need a keep and sell permit (basic or specialist). People who carry on a business involving the buying and selling of native animals (basic or specialist) require a Fauna Dealer permit.

As well as everything else, DEWNR also regulates and monitors the movement of captive native animals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>