Recreational registration BY Trevor Gribben

By  |  0 Comments

What a joke is recreational registration. I don’t know about you, but I like camping with my kids and riding motor bikes, but to take a motor bike into the State Forest or Parks you need recreational registration.

That’s the law, but how is a 7 year old kid supposed to get recreational registration? Firstly you need to get a light set for the bike, which involves a head light and tail light, a horn and mirror. This is easy to do. Secondly, you have to be 18 years of age and have a licence. How the hell is a kid going to get a licence at the age of 7?

The law in Victoria is that you need to be 18 years of age to hold a current motorbike licence. If I do take the chance of taking my kids out with a bike with recreational registration then they can still get a fine of around $700 for operating a vehicle without a licence. If the bike doesn’t have recreational registration they can also be fined around $900 for using an unregistered vehicle.

I try to get my kids out and about “away from the computer games”, but how are we supposed to do that when we have idiotic laws? We do the right things like paying for camp sites, paying for fishing licences as well as paying for recreational registration which the kids can’t use. What’s a person have to do to keep kids interested in the out side world? Buy a block of land which is getting out of reach of the common person, or risk our kids getting criminal records?

I can understand why some people take the risk of breaking some of these laws and I can also understand the safety side of it, but some of the laws and rules relating to kids can’t be the same as adults, or we are just going to have people not enjoying the beautiful country we have?


Licensed to ride

Riding anywhere on public land (includes tracks, roads and road related areas) requires a motorcycle licence or Learner Permit. To get a licence, the first step is to obtain a Learner Permit from a

VicRoads accredited training provider.

To apply for a Motorcycle Learner Permit you must be a minimum of 18 and a Victorian resident.

The Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) allows riders with a Learner Permit, Probationary or Restricted Licence to ride a wide range of approved motorcycles (refer to link above for list of approved motorcycles).

Riders without a licence or Learner Permit are not permitted to ride anywhere on public land.

Accredited motorcycle training providers offer additional optional courses which will further develop your skills and riding awareness.


  • Riding on public land (includes tracks, roads and road related areas) without a licence is a serious offence, attracts a heavy fine and can also have TAC compensation consequences
  • A car licence does not authorise you to ride a motorcycle
  • Carry your licence with you when riding or driving


Registered motorcycles are permitted on open public roads in State forests, parks and reserves but unregistered motorcycles are only allowed to be used on private property.

Registering your motorcycle makes it easier to identify if it goes missing. There are also some important benefits available if you are injured in a crash (refer to section on TAC Injury Cover).

Full registration allows your motorcycle to be used on any open public road.

Recreation registration is an alternative lower cost form of registration that allows your motorcycle to be used in certain area without obtaining full registration. Recreation registered motorcycles are not permitted on freeways, arterial roads (as managed by VicRoads) or any roads with a posted speed limit of less than 100 km/h. This restriction prohibits recreation registered motorcycles from going into or through townships but permits them to be ridden on the open public roads (other than arterial roads) in State forests, National parks, State parks, and reserves.

Mounting the official registration plate on the back of your bike so it’s clearly visible from the rear is a legal requirement and an important signal that you are a legitimate road user. Your registration label also needs to be affixed to the bike in accordance with VicRoads requirements.

Registration information is available from VicRoads.


  • Riding a motorcycle on public land (includes tracks, roads, road related areas) without registration is a serious offence which attracts a heavy fine and can have compensation and other TAC consequences
  • Electric powered motorcycles must also comply with registration regulations
  • Mount your registration plate on the motorcycle so it’s clearly visible from the rear

TAC Injury Cover

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is a Victorian government agency with responsibility for paying for treatment and benefits for people injured in transport accidents. It is also involved in promoting road safety in Victoria.

TAC funding comes from payments made by Victorian motorists and motorcycle owners when they register their vehicles each year with VicRoads.

The TAC pays the reasonable costs of ambulance, hospital, medical treatment, rehabilitation services, disability services, income assistance, travel and household support services that you may need as a result of your injuries from a transport accident (as defined).

The TAC is a “no-fault” scheme. This means that medical benefits will be paid to an injured person – regardless of who caused the crash.

Full TAC information at the TAC website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>